Saturday, January 23, 2010

Perspective from another vantage

Today as I was sitting on the couch with daughter #1 as daughter #2 was down for an early afternoon nap, I decided that it would be a good time to catch up on some much needed DVR viewing. #1 and I have a mutual understanding that as long as there is a Yo Gabba Gabba (YGG) mixed in every few shows that I peruse, we are simpatico.

We had just finished the second YGG before noon and I determined that it was indeed Daddy's turn for the "telly" #1 protested, but after I sighted the aforementioned reciprocity, she acquiesced. She is after all a very bright two-year-old. She knows that her YGG fix will again be satiated after Father has had his turn at the helm of the remote control.

I started to watch a few episodes of prime time programs that I had pre-selected to record, I wish I could recall exactly what I was watching, but it is unimportant for this account.
I started to LOL (laugh out loud, for the seniors) at some adult-themed joke that was set forth in the program that we were watching. Now keep in mind, as I have mentioned previously, #1 is a very inquisitive child and always wants to have a better understanding of what is actually taking place in any given situation. I wish I could explain it in more detail, but essentially #1 will constantly be asking me, "why did you say that, Daddy?" or "what's funny, Daddy?" Most times, I will do my best to relay to #1 using the best of my adult to toddler translation skills to edify her as to any given situation. But in this particular situation no amount of explanation would help to clarify the comedy that had just caused dad to belly laugh at the risk of waking #2. It was quite blue... though thank goodness, free of expletives.
Instantly #1 asked why I was laughing. It was then that I explained that it was a funny joke. #1 naturally then asked "why?" I stated that it was a joke for grown-ups, and that I could not really explain it to her at the time.

It was at this time that #1 (without skipping a beat) proclaimed, "but you are not a grown-up, Daddy?" (4 Mississippi pause...)

"So you don't think I am a grown-up?" I asked number one.
"No. You're a Daddy, but not a grown-up, Daddy," she replied. I had no fitting response other than more laughter. I asked if she and grandpa had discussed this previously. "No, Daddy," she replied.

I was quite happy to know that #1 does not believe me to be part of the bourgeoisie, (even though she has no frame of reference) and yet she has faith in me to refill her bowl of Lucky Charms each morning. This will be great fodder for later posts.

1 comment: